In this episode, Nikki chats with Zach Anderson and Sarah Lacour about the commonalities between diet culture and purity culture.
- How both cultures conflate diet, exercise, and weight with morality
- The emphasis on weight loss and policing of women’s bodies in both cultures
- How purity culture shows up in the language of fitness culture
- How this narrative contributes to body dysmorphia, disordered eating, and eating disorders
- Zach’s experience as a gay man who grew up in the Mormon church and now works in the nutrition and fitness space
- Sarah’s experience growing up in the evangelical church and the work she has done to deconstruct it
Connect with Sarah:
Connect with Zach:
Connect with Nikki:
Join Kettlebells Made Simple: naablevy.com/kettlebells-made-simple
Join her list for free workouts and fitness tips at naablevy.com/newsletter
If you enjoy the podcast, please take a minute to leave a rating and review on iTunes.
You can also support the podcast by sharing it with your friends or on social media.