In this episode, Nikki chats with Travis Pollen, PhD Health & Rehabilitation Sciences about how to critically assess scientific and research claims in the social media and online space.
- The limitations of research and how it doesn’t always hold up when applied to real life
- The problem is cherry picking or only selecting a single study to site on why you are doing something rather than considering the larger body of evidence and how this can lead to misleading claims
- Why you can’t believe everything you hear in the media or on Instagram, even when it comes from an authority
- Why most health and fitness advice is really boring and if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is
- Research review for health and fitness professionals and teachers: physio-network.com
- Free mentorship for improving communication skills between health / movement professionals and clients: The Level Up Initiative